DCD advances to second round

They say defense wins championships in football. DCD hopes the sports cliché carries over to the flag-football game as well.

DCD only allowed its second touchdown this flag-football season in its first-round game in the Men’s Open League A tournament en route to a 28-6 win over Revolution.

Utilizing deceptive defensive schemes, DCD dominated field position and, ultimately, the game.

DCD senior Rob Lotzer said having quick defenders allows the team to stack the line of scrimmage, yet still provides the option of dropping back without the worry of leaving wide receivers open.

The idea is to bait opposing quarterbacks into making poor decisions in fear a blitz is inevitable.

“It’s super easy for us to keep people in front of us and make tackles,” Lotzer said. “Our defense line can rush the quarterback with ease most of the times.”

DCD’s defense may dominate, but its offense is equally explosive.

Only turning the ball over on downs once, DCD dismantled Revolution’s defense. Possessing an unpenetrable offensive line, uncoverable receivers, and inconceivable trick plays to plan against, DCD ruled.

Lotzer said a solid offensive line and an array of athletes makes his job easy.

“Our O-line makes it pretty easy to get open,” Lotzer said. “I just pretty much throw it up to whoever is open, but I have four or five true weapons out there.”

One of Lotzer’s weapons, junior Tucker Sulzberger, caught all four DCD touchdowns thanks to sensational speed. Whenever the DCD wideout reached the sidelines, he was gone.

A former high-school football player referred to by teammates as the “sickest wide receiver in the league,” Sulzberger said the poor field conditions and help from his teammates created open routes.

“Mud had a little bit to do with it. [The Revolution players] didn’t know how to cover us in the mud,” Sulzberger said. “They also weren’t as fast as us.”

A muddy field may be an understatement.

Once the final whistle blew, both teams could be better identified as mud wrestlers. A mixture of grass, water, and mud burst into the air after every cleat smashed into the sloppy soil.

Revolution senior quarterback Ryan McCarthy said he was unhappy with the field conditions because of increased risk of injury. Although disappointed, he did not know how Recreational Services can fix it.

“I don’t know if there is anything you can really do, but maybe cover it up with a tarp,” he said. “This causes injuries, slows everybody down, and it is just a hassle.”

The bad weather may be a blessing in disguise for Revolution because DCD still sprinted past the opposing defense with ease. Nice fields present the possibility of DCD doubling its score.

In addition to having Tucker and Sulzberger, DCD extended plays by pitching the ball numerous times before its players’ flags were captured. On one play in the second quarter, the squad pitched the ball four times in route to a 40-yard gain.

Lotzer said constant laterals keeps opposing defenders from committing to the ball carrier. He did admit lots of lateraling can be dangerous.

“It might be a little bit of chance and a little bit of stupidity,” Lotzer said. “But, it’s fun. This is flag football and not the NFL.”