County supervisor appointment process satisfactory thus far

On Tuesday, the three-member county statutory committee — which consists of the auditor, treasurer, and recorder — whittled the field of 16 candidates vying to fill the vacant Board of Supervisors seat down to eight. While we remain in favor of a special election to fill the position, we’re happy the committee has selected eight qualified candidates from varying backgrounds.

We feel the county is headed in the right direction in filling this vacancy because of the experience of the selected candidates and the committee’s interview questions.

The committee chose to cut the 16 candidates on the basis of two criteria: those individuals who have not stated they will not run for a full term after being appointed and applicants who have not been defeated in their most recent election. The next step is the interviewing process, which will take place starting Thursday.

After much debate, the three members decided that these eight candidates encompassed a wide spectrum of Johnson County residents and, therefore, would all be acceptable choices.

“It’s very close to what I would have recommended for candidates,” Recorder Kim Painter said.

Two of the eight candidates selected are highly recognizable to the Iowa City and UI communities: former UI Student Government President Maison Bleam and current City Councilor Mike O’Donnell. Bleam and O’Donnell would provide a wealth of experience if chosen.

The other six candidates are Kenya Badgett, Gregory Pickett, Cami Jo Rasmussen, Janelle Rettig, Edgar Thornton, and Michael Lehman.

“I feel that the list we have is full of extremely qualified candidates,” Auditor Tom Slockett said.

We agree.

The committee’s eventual selection will affect critical issues for the county, including the location of a new county justice center. The committee was judicious in its approach and balanced many key issues in making its final picks for candidates.

Furthermore, the three-member group was quite thorough in its accumulation of questions to ask each candidate. Interview questions range from topics on city government to land use and environment to budget and taxes. As a result of the breadth of these questions, each candidate who interviews will be completely vetted and analyzed.

Johnson County residents do differ on the possible appointment of the committee. A petition has been circulating around the county to initiate a special election to elect a supervisor. A election would cost the county $75,000 and would further push back the time when the board would be at full capacity.

This concern by many residents is completely valid. Indeed, we support the petition in the name of democratic representation. But that shouldn’t halt the appointment process.

While we are hesitant to back a nondemocratic process, the eight are all reputable. And they would all provide a chance for differing voices to be heard on county-wide issues.

In the event that enough signatures aren’t collected, it’s important for the group to appoint a worthy successor to Larry Meyers. So far, it looks as if the panel members are on track.

We urge all concerned members of the community to attend these interviews. The best decision to be made is an informed one — and that starts and ends with your participation.