Flag-football standings change

Some surprising changes have happened in this week’s intramural flag-football men’s open league top 10.

Sigma Pi A, TKE, and the Lemon Party climbed to fourth, fifth, and sixth in the rankings after the Hangovers and Pup ’N’ Suds faltered a week ago.

UISC, Smooth Obturators, and Legit Ballers retain their top three spots after receiving byes.

New teams making an appearance in the top 10 are RMFG and Favre’s Favorites; they moved into the ninth and 10th spots. Both teams have relied a heavily on a their strong defenses.

There was also a change in the leaderboard among the three women’s league teams.

Team Blackout lost its No. 1 ranking to the defending champion Show Stoppaz in last week’s Game of the Week, 38-12. The loss reverses the previous standings — Show Stoppaz stands in first, and Blackout switches to second with Schax in third.

Game of the Week

This week’s Game of the Week pits two fraternity league titans together — fifth-ranked TKE will battle fourth-ranked Sigma Pi A on Oct. 6 at 8:30 p.m.

The winner of the game will walk away with the best fraternity league record and huge momentum as the playoffs near.

Flag-football forfeiting problems

It’s that time of the year.

Many flag-football teams are not showing up to scheduled games for unknown reasons, causing games to be canceled. When a team does not show to a scheduled contest, it forfeits.

Intramural graduate assistant Daniel Payne said he thinks the no-shows are due to teams being unsuccessful in their leagues and choosing to quit rather than play out their seasons.

“Teams forfeit maybe because they aren’t very good,” he said. “They also decide not to show up because of the cooler weather.”

Associate Director of Recreational Services Mike Widen said a team has an opportunity to pay a forfeit fee within 48 hours of a forfeit if the group members know they can’t show.

By doing so, it notifies the scheduled opponents to not attend the game.

Widen said as long as squads pay the $40 fee and show up to every game after that, the team’s captains will not be expelled from the league, and they can get the money back.

“They pay us $40, and if they play the rest of their games without a forfeit, they’ll get that money back,” Widen said. Deciding not to pay, then they are dropped from the league, and they are out.”

Possible rain may cause scheduling change

Today, a high likelihood of rain may force flag-football games to be canceled.

In the event of a rain-out, today’s games will be tentatively rescheduled for Oct. 18.

Recreational Services officials said they will compile an e-mail notifying team captains of the schedule change in the event that games are washed out.

Indoor volleyball sign-ups

The intramural indoor volleyball season is fast approaching, which means teams need to prepare to sign up soon. Registration will be held at the Fieldhouse on Oct. 12 from 1-5 p.m., and Oct. 13 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. A $40 Registration fee is applicable.