Legislators: Forget presidents’ bonuses

Amid proposed tuition increases, furloughs, and potential layoffs at state universities, some Iowa lawmakers are calling for the state Board of Regents to reconsider giving bonuses to university presidents.

Three legislators — Rep. Chris Hagenow, R-Windsor Heights, Rep. Jeff Kaufmann, R-Wilton, and Rep. Annette Sweeney, R-Alden — released a joint statement Monday regarding the regents’ decision at their Sept. 17 meeting to consider bonuses for the three regent university presidents.

The legislators stated under current economic and budgetary conditions, “bonuses for presidents of state universities should not remain a viable option.”

The statement was spurred by the regents’ proposal to increase tuition in the face of large budget cuts, Hagenow said. Forgoing bonuses should be looked at as a means to meet these cuts, he said.

“The issue here is the bonuses still being on the table,” he said. “In this case, it’s just not appropriate.”

The regents will consider fiscal 2010 bonuses for presidents at the UI, Iowa State University and the University of Northern Iowa — which could include up to $80,000 for UI President Sally Mason.

No bonuses were given out last year in light of economic conditions, and the regents have frozen the presidents’ salaries.

Regent President David Miles had no comment on the legislators’ statement, said Sheila Doyle, the regents’ communications director. Other regents did not return calls on Monday.

Sweeney said the burden that prospective tuition increases would put on students should outweigh additional pay for university officials.

“It seems to me that regents need to look again at their priorities,” she said.

Hagenow echoed Sweeney’s statement, calling the current economic situation “severe.”

“Families and students are tightening their belts, and I would like to see the regents do the same,” Hagenow said.

He thinks the majority of House Republicans share his sentiments, he said.

Rep. John Beard, D-Winneshiek, said he was unaware of the statement the three Republican representatives made, but he expressed concern the bonuses could be excessive.

“It doesn’t seem appropriate at all,” Beard said.

He plans to look into the details of the bonuses and said it was worthy of discussion. He also said he intends to bring up the issue when Democrats caucus in Grinnell on Friday.

Sweeney, however, admitted the regents are making steps toward meeting budget cuts and was optimistic regents simply didn’t think about banning bonuses for a second year.

“I would like to think that they’ve overlooked it and need to review,” she said. “I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt.”

But she is also concerned with the lack of communication between the Legislature and the regents.

“I was gravely disappointed that we were not involved in any type of dialogue,” Sweeney said. “We need to open communication.”

She wants to meet with the regents, but she hasn’t tried to contact any yet, she said.

UI spokesman Tom Moore said the university would not be involved in any discussion of bonuses, noting that such matters would be handled solely by the Iowa Legislature and the regents.