New Field House fee for public only fair

“There’s no such thing as a free lunch,” economist Milton Friedman, among others, famously proclaimed. But for Iowa City residents who use the Field House, it may seem that way. For the better part of the facility’s existence, UI students have bought the lunch, and the public enjoyed the meal. That is set to change soon, however, because the public will soon be required to pay a fee for using the facility.

The decision is a welcome dose of fairness for all UI students, who currently pay the bulk of expenses for the workout center.

It’s only fair for the public to chip in, especially considering the mandatory student recreation fee will be $219 when the new Campus Recreation & Wellness Center opens next year. Students shouldn’t have to subsidize the public’s workout regimen.

Harry Ostrander, the director of UI Recreational Services at the UI, said the change is a matter of equity. “Students pay a mandatory fee, and we feel that it’s only fair that faculty, staff, and the public pay a comparable fee for the use of the facility.”

Ostrander said the change is part of a shift from an individual fee-based payment plan to a mandatory one that will encompass the services now offered by the facility. The new payment proposal is in the works; the state Board of Regents must approve it. If the plan goes through, UI faculty and staff will pay $300, and the public will pay $360 for a yearly membership.

Some Iowa City residents may object to the new fee on the ostensible grounds that because a portion of their property taxes pays for the facility, they should be able to enjoy its services free of charge. However, this rationale is false — most property taxes stay with the local government, said Dale Hyman, the administrator of the Iowa Department of Revenue’s Property Tax Division.

He said the state receives a minuscule amount of property taxes collected — just $.30 per $1,000 gathered.

“The state portion of the tax would represent less than 1 percent of the total property tax,” he said.

And while Iowa City residents pay state taxes — which end up funding the UI — it’s unfair for the public to ask cash-strapped students to foot the bill for their triweekly cardio workout.

Furthermore, the new payment plan will still allow the public to be able to enjoy the facility at a rate of only $1 a day. It still remains a local option for exercise that is comparable to fitness center rates in Iowa City.

Ostrander said he’s not concerned the new system will have a negative effect on public use of the Field House.

“We feel that after the initial shock of this change, our attendance will remain strong,” he said.

The recession may have some element to play in the change in payment policy, but its overarching effect is that of fairness. UI students are required to pay a mandatory fee for certain services such as health care, computer use, and fine-art performances. When combined, these fees cost UI students more than $500. Some students may go their four years without having to visit the doctor or attending any fine-art event. Regardless of this, the university feels these fees are important in establishing a general social good for those who do want to use these services. It should be no different for public use of the Field House.

The change shouldn’t be viewed as punishing public patrons of the Field House. It’s a move that is long overdue and is rooted in basic notions of fairness. UI students contribute a great amount of economic support for the Iowa City community. For $1 a day, the public will return the favor.