Soccer coaches have Ball State ties

Coaching continuity creates consistency.

At least this is the theory the Iowa soccer team believes in, and it’s slowly holding true with each and every game the Hawkeyes win.

Iowa (3-2) will host Loyola-Chicago (0-6) today at the Iowa Soccer Complex at 7 p.m. It will face Wisconsin-Milwaukee (2-2-2) at 1 p.m. Sept. 13.

Iowa will take the field with a deeply connected coaching staff. Having previously coached at Ball State under current Hawkeye head coach Ron Rainey, Eileen Narcotta and Shane Meridith make up a staff that has gelled to mold the team into a potential contender this season.

Rainey is in his fourth year at Iowa after coming from Ball State in 2006. He was able to persuade Narcotta, who coached the Ball State goalkeepers and defenders for Rainey for four years, to come as well. This season, the two welcomed Meridith, who served as Rainey’s assistant at Ball State from 2000-01.

The three agree that their prior experience together is a huge positive for the players and the program.

“I think that we are always on the same page,” Meridith said. “We like to train teams a very similar way.”

Each assistant brings unique skills to teach the Hawkeyes; Meridith’s forte is the offensive.

“I think Shane does a great job as far as bringing a lot of energy to practices and having a good eye for talent from a recruiting standpoint,” Rainey said. “He is a very good teacher of the game. The mission for him is to create relationships with the players, and coaches, and people at the university to keep the program moving forward.”

The head coach also likes Narcotta’s ability to work with the Iowa defenders.

“Eileen’s worked well with the goalkeepers, and now, as somebody with experience, she’s able to work with our defenders quite a bit also,” Rainey said.

In his first three seasons at the helm, the team improved in total wins every year, from six to eight to nine in 2008. The addition of Meridith this season has reaped benefits already — Iowa now has a seamless transition from playing Narcotta’s sturdy defense to his striking offense.

“I think the two are good foils to each other. It allows some continuity with how we want to defend or attack,” Rainey said. “The challenge is to create more chances while also not giving up goals. That’s been our challenge the last couple years going from a defense-oriented team to a team that can attack more.”

Narcotta has seen Meridith make a smooth transition to the Iowa bench.

“Shane has jumped right in and understands where the program needs to go,” she said. “It’s been a good working relationship. We are very much on the same wavelength, which I think is really good for consistency with players.”

The Iowa coaches’ effect is evident by the team’s performance in the early season. The Hawkeyes rank fourth in the Big Ten in scoring, with 10 goals in five games.

Since allowing three goals in its opener to Missouri, which was ranked No. 24 at the time, the Iowa defense has twice allowed one goal and has posted two shutouts in its last four games.

“Part of the success of any program, or business, or organization is relationships that establish and build trust,” Meridith said. “I think that’s still developing, but that’s going to be with any new coaching staff.”