Student finds ticket to business success

What began as an idea for a classroom assignment has now become a business for UI student and entrepreneur Dustin Waner.

That idea made its virtual début about two weeks ago when he launched universiticks. com, an online market for people wanting to buy and sell tickets in Iowa City.

“The more I thought about [the assignment], the more I realized that it could be an actual business,” Waner said.

He asked longtime friend Adam Stillman to help create the network. Since then, the two have designed the website and are now working to promote it with social networking.

“He talked to me about it right away, and I thought it was a great idea,” said Stillman, a UI alumnus.

Universiticks is designed to be a safe and convenient way for students and community members to buy and sell tickets to local events, including athletics games and concerts.

“It’s a central location, and people can feel safe without having to deal with strangers,” said Stillman.

The seller then drops off the ticket at the Universiticks office in the Bedell Entrepeneurship Learning Laboratory, where the purchaser can retrieve it.

Students generally pay around $22 for football tickets, and they typically sell them for around $30 or $40 on the website. But they can be higher — one ticket to the Michigan/Iowa football game went for $80, Waner said.

Ross Neuman, a UI senior finance major, heard about the website through Waner, and he has now put five tickets up for sale.

“It’s easier to use than Facebook,” Neuman said. “It brings buyer and seller together really easily for one purpose.”

Waner said his business is not about scalping tickets, which is illegal.

“We’re not scalping, not buying, just connecting buyers and sellers,” he said, noting that he and his partner are not affiliated with the UI. “We’re trying to be that safe intermediary.”

Waner and Stillman said they were surprised by the business they have received so far. Waner said they saw around 15 ticket transactions on the site in the last two weeks. Approximately five of those sold the day before last weekend’s Northern Iowa/Iowa football game.

The only tickets posted on the website so far have been for Hawkeye football, but Waner is hopeful they will start selling tickets for a larger variety of events.

The pair agreed the most difficult part of the business is driving traffic to the site. So far, Waner has used Facebook, handed out fliers, and spoken to several UI classes.

Waner said he is looking for interns to help him market the website and has been approved through the UI program I-Envision to offer one credit hour to interested students.

In the future, Waner and Stillman plan to expand their business to as many campuses as possible.

“I’m looking to pursue the business and see where it takes me,” Waner said.