UI still looking to fill positions

The UI has received more than 200 applications for its vacant vice president for strategic communications position, one of four administrative spots officials are still trying to fill.

The position, created by UI President Sally Mason, is meant to serve as the university’s communications officer as well as monitor the university’s progress on meeting its strategic goals.

Members of the search committee hope to begin interviewing finalists for that position by October, said David Drake, the president of the UI Faculty Council, at its first meeting of the semester on Tuesday.

“The plan is to have the list [of potential hirings] by the end of the year,” he said. “We have applicants from all over the country and they are all outstanding.”

The UI is also accepting applicants for its associate diversity director, ombudsman, and associate provost for faculty.

The university’s tighter budget has not affected the search process, said Faculty Council secretary Katherine Tachau.

But funding still remains a major concern.

“The basic fact is we had stimulus money last year that we no longer have,” Drake said. “Under full realization, we are facing a bad budget with no stimulus money.”

The search for the associate provost for faculty has been stalled due to lack of members on the search committee, while the other three searches have continued as planned.

Tachau said filling the ombudsman position is important for the university.

“They play the mediator for students, faculty and staff, helping them find the resources to solve an problem they may have,” she said.

In other business, Faculty Council members addressed a change in the university’s trash management system. Because of budget cuts, officials have called for an overall reduction in trash pickup.

Drake said fewer pickups each month points to a more serious issue: The staff members in charge of the task who may face layoffs.

The council also addressed a new project to involve faculty members in combating binge drinking.