Frosh golfer turning some heads

Gigi DiGrazia won the 2008 Class A state championship for girl’s golf with the help of a 20-foot birdie putt. That putt was the last of her 36-hole championship round and also the last of her high-school career.

Now she is beginning her career at Iowa.

DiGrazia started playing at 3 when her father took her to a driving range. Approximately six years later, she started competing.

In addition to winning the state championship her senior year, the 18-year-old freshman was a four-time state qualifier and three-time all-state and all-conference honoree.

She chose Iowa because she felt comfortable with the program and the school, and she already knew many of the coaches and golfers. After touring the city, the campus, and the course, she could picture herself here.

The opportunity to play right away also appealed to her, and both she and head coach Kelly Crawford are hoping she capitalizes on that chance.

“I expect her to vie for that top spot on the team,” Crawford said. “She’s indicated that’s the place she wants to be, and I love that she has that attitude.”

DiGrazia was a little more reserved about her goals. She hopes to play well, but she doesn’t want to undershoot any expectations she may set.

The new Hawkeye plans on getting a quick start that will result in being a medalist a few times.

Crawford has yet to coach DiGrazia (practice begins today), but from watching, the head coach is impressed.

“She was one of the few athletes I evaluated that actually used [her] notes on the golf course,” Crawford said. “She used the yardage books and her own notes with each shot, and that to me was very impressive.”

Using such notes is something that Crawford said one rarely sees in young players. Having a player who uses them is huge, she said, and the coaching staff is pleased.

Even better is DiGrazia’s level of intensity. Crawford described her as “super, super competitive,” as well as passionate.

“In conversations with her, I knew she was going to be a great fit for our program,” Crawford said. “She’s exactly the kind of player I’m looking to bring on to propel us. She was someone we thought we definitely had to get here.”

Although full of praise, Crawford noted DiGrazia’s game still is improving. The coach would like the freshman to improve her short game and lower her putting average. An improved short game should result in more options on the course.

DiGrazia pointed to the mental aspect as an area of improvement.

“My biggest worry is that I get distracted mentally with my game because of school and time management,” she said. “I think that’s a big thing that could screw me up, golf-wise.”

If she can conquer that, Crawford sees big things from the young golfer.

“There’s no reason she can’t vie for freshman Player of the Year in our conference,” the coach said. “If she continues to put up amazing numbers, work hard, and stay competitive, I don’t see why she can’t be an All-American down the road as well.”