Game Time playoffs set

After a summer of working out kinks, the four teams that make up this year’s Game Time League will gear up tonight for the first two games of the playoffs.

The team with the biggest target on its back will be No. 1 Coralville Hy-Vee, lead by the league’s top performer, Iowa junior Kachine Alexander. The Minneapolis native is averaging 25 points and 14 rebounds per game heading into tonight’s contest with No. 4 Goodfellow Printing/Imprinted Sportswear at 6 p.m.

Though Coralville Hy-Vee is the top seed with a 9-1 record and it will face a 2-8 squad in Goodfellow/Imprinted, this will be no easy task for Alexander and company.

“It’s going to be tough, I’ll say that. We played [Goodfellow/Imprinted], and last time we won in overtime,” Alexander said. “We can’t take them lightly this time. Hopefully, we’ll have all our players.”

Leading the upset charge will be Iowa teammate and Goodfellow/Imprinted guard Shante Jones, who feels that the best is yet to come for her last-place team.

“I think we had some mental errors, but we are all good players,” she said. “I don’t know if we need to go home and work on some things. We didn’t have any bench players in [the July 16 game against Active Endeavors/McCurry’s], and we almost won.”

Both Goodfellow/Imprinted and L.L. Pelling Company/Cullen Painting finished tied for third place. The decision on which would face Coralville Hy-Vee came down to a coin toss, one that Goodfellow/Imprinted coach Brendan Unkrich immediately regretted.

“Yeah, I lost that one for my team,” he said. “They all said I should have called tails, but I went with heads.”

Benefiting from the coin toss was Pelling/Cullen, which will face No. 2 Active Endeavors/McCurry’s (8-2) at 7:30 p.m., following the first contest between Goodfellow/Imprinted and Hy-Vee.

With the 1-2 punch of Iowa freshman standout Jaime Printy and Hawkeye cocaptain JoAnn Hamlin, the upper hand seems to belong to Active Endeavors/McCurry’s, but like Jones, Pelling/Cullen coach Randy Larson likes his chances for the upset.

“I think that if [Iowa sophomore] Hannah [Draxten] comes back, and we continue to show the improvement we have, I’m optimistic,” he said.

If the odds do favor Active Endeavors/McCurry’s and Larson’s squad falls, it will be done.

“I don’t believe in consolation rounds,” Larson said. “The losers should be at home crying, not thinking about playing their next game.”