Iowa City’s Stickman rockin’ for a long time

Giving back to the local music scene is what this weekend means for Iowa City band Stickman.

After band member Kylie Buddin successfully organized a reunion show last year of popular Iowa City bands from the ’80s, the group decided to hold the event again — but with a twist. This year, Stickman will headline the show again, but on a smaller scale, and the proceeds will be donated to a local nonprofit that encourages youths to explore music and art.

Stickman will play the benefit show at the Mill, 120 E. Burlington St., at 7 p.m. Saturday with Liberty Leg, Acoustic Guillotine, Bad Accidents, and Illinois John Fever. Tickets are $6.

The concert will raise money for United Action for Youth, 410 Iowa Ave., a place in which Sam and Stu Mullins and Buddin work and an organization that helped them start Stickman in the early ’90s.

Stickman formed in 1992, when the Mullins brothers, along with a couple of friends, decided to play music together. The band has undergone a slight shift in members since then — the Mullins brothers, along with Gordy Axt and Buddin, form the band’s current lineup.

For the past two decades, the band has kept on playing for the sheer joy of rocking together.

Since their beginning, the members of Stickman have had equilibrium in their vocal-based music.

The four attribute the Stickman’s longtime success to the closeness of the group and the that they all enjoy playing its pop/rock music when they can find the time.

“We do it because we enjoy it,” Mullins said. “There’s no pressure to do it every week, because sometimes, we just don’t have the time. It’s either do that or give it up, and none of us really like the idea of giving it up because it’s too much fun.”

Both Mullins and Buddin said giving back to United Action for Youth is important to them because it’s an organization that has offered them, and the community, a place to explore music and art.

“For young people, it’s one of the places where they can have a sense of community with their music,” Mullins said.

For this Saturday’s concert, the Stickman members said bands will play music genres that appeal to a wide variety of people.

“There are no two bands that are going to sound alike at this show,” Buddin said.