Nearly Naked Mile bares all for charity

Chilling rain on March 7 didn’t slow the hundreds of runners at Hubbard Park — all of them nearly naked.

The UI’s first Nearly Naked Mile, sponsored by Students Today Alumni Tomorrow, encouraged participants to shed layers of clothing to donate to the Salvation Army.

In total, the event gathered 2,000 pounds of clothing.

Katie Fuchs, one of the UI students who started the run, said she believes the event not only benefited those in need but Iowa City residents as well.

“I think this is a great way to donate to the poor and also bring together members of the Iowa City community,” she said.

Fuchs was motivated to bring the event to the UI campus by hearing about it during a trip to Utah, she said. Similar events have been popular at the University of Northern Iowa, Indiana University, Purdue University, and University of Wisconsin, according to the Alumni Association.

After giving up their clothing, runners were reduced down to just a few articles covering little of their bodies. Students sporting the best of the skimpy outfits were rewarded with gift certificates to Coralville shoe store Running Wild.

The mile-long route — on Madison, Washington, Dubuque, and Market Streets — earned positive feedback from student participants.

“It was a great showing, and I’m sure people who didn’t take part this year saw all the runners and that should lead to a better showing next year,” said junior Andrew Oswalt, who also helped plan the event.

Another runner, freshman Avery Capper, said the actual run was only half of the fun.

For him, “watching everyone in funny costumes was definitely the best part.”

Though the weather was in the high 40s with rain cascading down, Hannah Smith said the lousy weather wasn’t a problem.

“The rain definitely added to the excitement,” she said.

An avid runner and fan of dressing up, Curtis DeVetter said he was glad he participated in the run.

But DeVetter, who has been doing flood-recovery work in Cedar Rapids, said he experienced some small setbacks from the rain.

“It got pretty cold, but once I got going, it didn’t matter,” he said.

While some runners went solo, others — such as Zach Sapato — gathered friends or coworkers into teams.

Sapato and a gang of fellow Burge Hall front-desk workers called themselves the Booty Bandits.

While he said the team had a low turnout because of the rain, the poor weather made it more “hard-core.”

And though the run left the Booty Bandits mud-soaked, Sapato said, the runners appreciated the fundraiser.

“The Booty Bandits will be back next year,” he said.

As the runners left Hubbard Park after completing the nearly naked mile, Assistant Director of Alumni Programs Leslie Jensen said the charity effort was a “great success.”

“We plan to do it many years to come,” Jensen said.