Five takeaways from women’s basketball media day

With Monika Czinano being named center and a new offense being implemented, this has been an offseason of change for the Hawkeyes.

Iowa+forward%2Fcenter+Monika+Czinano+%2325+pulls+the+ball+down+during+a+womens+basketball+game+against+Oral+Roberts+University+on+Friday%2C+Nov.+9%2C+2018.+The+Hawkeyes+defeated+the+Golden+Eagles+90-77.+

David Harmantas

Iowa forward/center Monika Czinano #25 pulls the ball down during a women’s basketball game against Oral Roberts University on Friday, Nov. 9, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Golden Eagles 90-77.

Ben Payla, Sports Reporter

After losing three crucial starters, Iowa women’s basketball’s focus going into the upcoming season is on having a new identity with the same expectations. 

The team features several newcomers and will have a heavy presence at the guard position that will be the driving force for the team as it tries to make a run at defending its Big Ten Championship from last season.

After media day on Thursday, The Daily Iowan has five key takeaways on what to expect from the Hawkeye women’s basketball team this season. 

Replacing Megan Gustafson

The Hawkeyes lost three crucial players from last season’s squad, including national player of the year Megan Gustafson. 

With an average of 27.8 points per game and 13.4 rebounds per game, the superstar’s productivity is not going to be reproduced by one player but by changes in the offensive scheme and a more spread out impact. 

After winning the Big Ten Championship and making a deep run into the Elite Eight last season, this group is hungry for more. 

“When you have that type of success, you just want more, and you know what it takes to get it now,” head coach Lisa Bluder said. 

A lot of attention has been focused on the progression of the team without three of its starters from last season, which keeps the Hawkeyes competitive. 

“We are going to miss them a lot, but we have a lot of belief in ourselves and confidence in ourselves and we’ve got a lot of pieces that could fit together really well, so we are really excited,” senior Kathleen Doyle said. 

A new offensive identity

With the loss of size in Megan Gustafson and Hannah Stewart, the team will be shifting towards a perimeter based attack. The Hawkeyes are loaded at the guard position, so Bluder is playing to the team’s strengths instead of trying to replace what it lost. 

“You have an opportunity to drive and dish and hit open threes,” Bluder said. “It just gives you more room to operate than the offense we ran the past couple of years.”

The Hawkeyes are loaded with talent at guard with preseason All-Big Ten nominee Kathleen Doyle leading the group. 

Seniors Makenzie Meyer and Alexis Sevillian will be crucial pieces as well as the two step up into key roles in the team this season. 

Monika Czinano named starting center

During Bluder’s press conference, sophomore Monika Czinano was officially named starting center for the Hawkeyes. 

The Minnesota native appeared in 34 matches last season, averaging 5.3 minutes per game. This season will be a huge step up, but the sophomore is ready for the challenge. 

“I worked on footwork with [associate head coach Jan Jensen], she’s the number one post coach in the country in my opinion to work on that kind of stuff with, and I think it’s really showing through,” Czinano said. 

Czinano has also been working on her strength and conditioning to prepare for the extra minutes this season. If she can make the position her own and be a presence in the paint, then the team should be able to go far this season.

Offseason competition in Europe

During the offseason, the Hawkeyes gained valuable time together as a team with the addition of 10 practices and a team trip to Spain. They played three games while in Europe, posting a 2-1 record. 

Senior Amanda Ollinger was a standout on the trip, with the Cedar Rapids native scoring 15 points and 11 rebounds in the trip’s final game. 

Not only did several other players stand out, but the extra time as a team helped get accustomed to the new offense and grow closer as a team. 

“It allowed us to be able to build a chemistry with each other, especially with the newcomers coming in,” Sevillian said. 

Goals and season outlook

Even with the losses to the team from last year, Bluder is optimistic and wants to see the team back in the NCAA Tournament this season. 

“This team is not ready to throw up the white flag, the cast of characters may have changed, but the culture is the same,” Bluder said.

Being at the top of the Big Ten is a step towards that, something that the Hawkeyes are striving for this season.

“Obviously, we want to defend our Big Ten Title,” Bluder said. “We need to just focus on the best we can be, bringing it every practice, every game, and results and our goals will fall into place after that.” 

The Hawkeyes will face NCAA Tournament teams such as Princeton, Drake and Clemson at Carver-Hawkeye Arena this season, something that the team is excited for and that will be a good gauge to where it stands. 

With some early-season tests, the team has a chance to prove themselves early against elite competition.