Politicians call for Steve King’s resignation following comments on abortions in cases of rape, incest

Iowa politicians and Oval Office hopefuls condemned comments by Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa in which he said if not for rape or incest, there “may not be any population of the world left.”

U.S. Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, during the annual American Conservative Union CPAC conference on March 3, 2016 at National Harbor in Oxon Hill, Maryland. (Gage Skidmore/Planet Pix/Zuma Press/TNS)

Sarah Watson, Politics Editor

Presidential contenders and Iowa politicians, including both Republicans and Democrats looking to unseat Iowa’s sole Republican U.S. Congressman, condemned Iowa Rep. Steve King’s comments defending no exception to abortions in cases of rape or incest.

First reported by the Des Moines RegisterKing told the Westside Conservative Club there may not be anyone left in the world population if people who were the products of rape or incest didn’t exist.

“What if we went back through all the family trees and just pulled out anyone who was a product of rape or incest? Would there be any population of the world left if we did that?” he said in Urbandale, Iowa to a conservative group, according the Register. “Considering all the wars and all the rapes and pillages that happened throughout all these different nations, I know that I can’t say that I was not a part of a product of that.”

The Kiron Republican argued that the crime of incest or assault shouldn’t determine the fate of the child.

King’s primary challenger, state Sen. Randy Feenstra, R-Hull, wrote on Twitter that although he was a pro-life Republican, he found King’s comments and behavior “bizarre” and said they “diminish our message & damage our cause. Trump needs defenders in Congress, not distractions.”

J.D. Scholten, a Democrat, is making a second bid for Iowa’s 4th District Congressional seat. On Twitter, he condemned King’s comments and linked a campaign-donation webpage.

King’s colleague in the U.S. House of Representatives from Iowa, Rep. Abby Finkenauer, a Democrat, via Twitter called King’s comments “incredibly cruel & disrespectful to survivors,” saying King “continues to be an embarrassment to our state & federal delegation.”

Presidential hopefuls who’ve spent the last week campaigning in King’s home state also condemned the Congressman on social media. Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., who’s also vying for the Democratic presidential nomination called for King’s resignation via Twitter.

Fellow Oval Office hopeful Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., sent out a fundraising link for King’s second-time Democratic challenger, J.D. Scholten.

Likewise, Democratic presidential hopeful Beto O’Rourke, of Texas, sent out Scholten’s fundraising link, writing “no matter where you live, you know there’s no place for Steve King’s racism, bigotry, and hatred in Congress.”

Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., called for King’s removal.

Sen. Bernie Sanders, an independent from Vermont running for the Democratic presidential nomination also weighed in.

Pete Buttigieg, mayor of South Bend, Indiana, spoke at the Iowa State Fair Tuesday. Wednesday, he told a reporter from CNN about King’s remarks, “You would think it would be pretty easy to come out against rape and incest, then again, you’d think it would be pretty easy to come out against white nationalism.”

Washington Gov. Jay Inslee and fellow presidential hopeful also weighed in on Twitter.

Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., wrote on Twitter “Iowans deserve better than Steve King.”