Rocking against rape

By Brett Shaw 

Discussions about rape culture often tend to occur in serious, formal settings, and they can be uncomfortable. However, Rock Against Rape Culture, an upcoming music festival, hauls the discussion out into the open through an enjoyable night of heavy bass and dance-evoking rhythms.Eight acts will perform in the festival, which will take place on from 5 to 11 p.m. on Saturday at Public Space One, 120 N. Dubuque St. Admission for the festival is $5, and all proceeds will directly go to the Rape Victim Advocacy Program.

Alex Skalla, an organizer of the event, said the funds will support such actions as supplying bus passes for victims of violence and training volunteers to make RVAP services available 24/7. All of the money raised at the festival will be given to supporting survivors in the community and bettering their lives.

More than raising money, the event also seeks to create a dialogue about sexual violence and motivate audience members to combat the rape culture plaguing society. Crucially, however, Rock Against Rape Culture aims to produce an environment both of progression and excitement.

“I hope people will be able to rock out, and [I wish] for it to be a positive and safe space for people to talk about sexual violence in their communities,” Skalla said.

“Also as a way of the community to recognize that they have the power and responsibility to prevent sexual violence.”

Many people do not know how to go about discussing rape culture, because some, or many, fear saying the wrong thing might accidentally offend some people. The festival aims to eliminate those barriers

“Focusing on the drive and desire to create positive change allows for a positive and safe space to have that sort of conversation,” Skalla said.

Skalla is the lead singer of the local band Maiden Mars. Although the group will not perform, the organizer of the festival is rooted in the rock and punk communities locally.

Headlining the festival is the Iowa City band whose origin story dates back to the university dorms, Port Authority. It has developed a strong local following and will soon release its début album. A review of their Mission Creek Festival performance can be found on the Daily Iowan website. When asked to perform in the festival, the band at the opportunity.

“We’re three and a half white dudes so there’s quite a bit of privilege that comes with our band,” said lead guitarist Jens Hoifeldt. “We just like playing shows honestly, but this one is for a great cause, and we’re very excited to be on it.”

Port Authority strives to give back to the community that has supported the group. In February, for instance, the band hosted a benefit show for the ACLU. Although the members do not like politicizing the music, they do not stand for people being put down for the sake of others.

Rape culture is a significant area of concern for the group members, because of numerous incidents at a house venue in which they frequently performed.

All of the bands in the festival will perform pro bono in order to maximize profits for RVAP. It is an event for the community. People are welcome to pop in the festival for however long they like and enjoy what is sure to be a cathartic evening. Those who cannot attend the festival can donate to RVAP if they wish.