Sparks hit the stage

(The Daily Iowan/Anthony Vazquez
During the 15th hour of the 22nd Dance Marathon in the Iowa Memorial Union on Saturday Feb. 6, 2016 (The Daily Iowan/Anthony Vazquez)

by Tom Ackerman

@Tom_AckermanDI

Sparks hit the stage at the Dance Marathon event on Saturday for the first time.

The University of Iowa’s Sparklers, a group formed last spring, debuted around 8:30 am on stage at the Iowa Memorial Union, which consisted of UI students and those with special needs.

“I think it made them feel so special,” said Paige Righton, a student who watched their performance. “That’s what they need, someone to believe in them. It’s something we don’t have to deal with – I think they picked the right place for their first show.”

Last spring, students brought The Sparkle Effect to UI’s campus to form their own team of dancers.

Many positive responses came from students present at the event in the ballroom.

“I think it’s a great thing to include them [those with special needs],” said Jackson Koellner, who attended the high school that several of the high school students live.

The group performed a mashup of songs and had a corresponding poms routine. The group also includes many students from Realizing Educational and Character Hopes, or REACH, a transition program at the university.

The group is also open to elementary students and older in the surrounding areas to Iowa City. The Sparklers practice every Thursday night.

“It’s been great to see the program start and grow right from my hometown,” he said. The original program came from the University of Northern Iowa, which was his since been adopted by the UI and other colleges nationally.

Taylor Rockey, a UI sparkler and student, said she was proud of the group and that they have been practicing for some time.

“The people have such big hearts. They want to help not only those with cancer but those with special needs,” she said.

UI students in the crowd too felt proud for the cheerleaders and expressed support.

Rockey also said that the new group is not just beneficial for the special needs students, but is beneficial for the mentors and other UI students in building an opportunity for a relationships with the students throughout the state.