Dancers push through the night

Dancers try to rest without sitting down during the 6th hour of the 22nd Dance Marathon in the Iowa Memorial Union on Satruday, Feb. 6, 2016. The dancers are not allowed to sit, or have caffeine throughout the 24 hours. (The Daily Iowan/Valerie Burke)

By Tom Ackerman

@Tom_AckermanDI

A lull in tonight’s schedule for on-stage performances does not stop the party; it just moves it.

While there is a break in entertainment for dancers in the ballroom from 11:30 pm until 1:00 am, Dance Marathon goers move their attention to karaoke, bumper ball, and “Captain’s Coming,” — a game like Simon Says.

“I came down to watch people play Jenga,” said Elizabeth Roach, a University of Iowa student. Many alternate activities were held in the Hawkeyeroom, which is on the ground floor of the Iowa Memorial Union.

“If we’re going to be here for 24 hours, I need to be more to do than dancing,” she said.

A number of students partook in the games as the morning hours came into view and the dance floor began to become less crowded. After “Captain’s Coming” ended, the drum line made noise for the crowd too.

“It looked pretty fun and I had to digest a burrito, so I decided to play,” said Conar Reed about the game.

Kaitlyn Reif, a UI student and coordinator for events in the hawkeyeroom, said the new room has been a benefit for the event with the open space, which was constructed earlier this year as a result of the 2008 flood damages changed the layout of the IMU.

“Especially because we’re in a brand new area, this has been a good place for side activities,” she said. “They need so many rooms for the families, so [Iowa Memorial Union] gets crowded fast.”

Others commented that the ballroom had gotten too hot, but said they planned to go back later.

“It’s not as hard as it was before,” said Abby Tiecke, a sophomore who has participated in Dance Marathon since high school. “I remember people get crabby as the night goes on. We came down here to distract ourselves for a little while.”

Reif added that she is a four-year participant, which has been a positive experience for her. “I started my freshman year as a dancer and was a captain for two years before,” she said. “It really shaped my college career.”