Music for the ‘Wookie’

Self-described as big and hairy, Ken “Wookie” Cook got his nickname by making a sound reminiscent of Chewbacca’s call. His physique, otherworldly growl, and affinity for heavy-metal music may be a tad intimidating, but most see Cook as a gentle giant.Cook was diagnosed with colon cancer in May and has since been undergoing chemotherapy. In an attempt to help alleviate the burden of medical costs, longtime friend and former bandmate Kylie Buddin has organized a benefit in Cook’s honor.

The event will be held at 5 p.m. Nov. 22 at the Mill, 120 E. Burlington St. The Mullin Brothers, Wonderful Damage, In the Mouth of Radness, Assethe, and other bands will perform throughout the night.

Upon hearing about Cook’s diagnosis, Buddin said he wanted to discover anyway he could help. He ultimately decided on the benefit concert to visibly illustrate how many people care for Cook.

“I’m a firm believer with these kinds of illnesses that your spirit does a lot to help fight the disease,” he said. “I think this is a fairly key moment for him to realize that we’re all there for him, and we’re all supporting him.”

From bandmates to friends, Buddin said he and Cook have “palled around” watching horror films and listening to music for almost 20 years. Cook has not only been an influential member in his life, he said, but in the lives of many in the Iowa City music scene.

“It was one of the easiest shows I’ve ever had to organize,” Buddin said. “When I first put up a notice asking who would be interested in performing, I had 25 bands offer to play. It felt like everybody was on board.”

Buddin said Cook always rushed to help anyone in trouble and has organized several benefits for others in need.

Though he never thought he would be the one in need, Cook said, he has been overwhelmed with all the support he has gotten from musicians. For him, the benefit offers him the opportunity to express his gratitude to both his supporters and the craft that has kept him going.

“When I’m stressed out, I listen to music,” he said. “When I need to wind down, I listen to music. Basically, it helps me get out of bed in the mornings.”

Jeff Keyser, the drummer for In the Mouth of Radness who has known Cook for most of his life, said he was heartbroken over Cook’s diagnosis. Keyser said he hopes the benefit will give Cook the opportunity to forget about what he is going through, even if only for a few hours.

“He’s a mammoth of a man, but he’s just as kind-hearted as they come,” Keyser said. “He’s only interested in how you’re doing and things going on in your life.”

Buddin said Cook will have to continue chemotherapy for another two months, though he was projected to be finished by this time. Therefore, he said, while they do hope to raise a lot of money to help Cook, there is an alternative purpose for the benefit.

“[The benefit] gives everybody an opportunity to show him that we care about him,” he said. “The visible support is equal to twice its value in dollars.”

MUSIC
What: Ken “Wookie” Cook Benefit Show
When: 5 p.m. Nov. 22
Where: Mill, 120 E. Burlington