Big Ten Power Rankings

1) Maryland
The Terrapins remain at the top of the pack even with the loss of their leading scorer, Laurin Mincy, who graduated after last season. The team still retained double-digit scoring starters in Shatori Walker-Kimbrough and Brionna Jones putting them in contention for another Big Ten title and Final Four appearance.

2) Ohio State
With a healthy roster, the Buckeyes are optimistic coming into the season. Ohio State will return all five starters from last season and with sophomore Kelsey Mitchell coming off a season in which she averaged 24.9 points a game (leading the nation), the Buckeyes are looking good from the get-go.

3) Iowa
Hawkeyes still look strong even without last season’s scoring trio of Melissa Dixon, Bethany Doolittle, and Sam Logic. Now, it’s Ally Disterhoft’s and Kali Peschel’s turn to lead the team.

4) Northwestern
Northwestern made a name for itself last season, going 12-6 in the Big Ten and making the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 1997. The team is expected to play just as well this season, with junior Nia Coffey leading the way.

5) Minnesota:
Making it to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2009 was a huge stride for Minnesota. But with the loss of two of their top scoring seniors, a trip back to the NCAA Tournament looks questionable.

6) Rutgers
With Rutgers losing its solid senior trio coming into this season, the team may have a difficult time getting back to the NCAA Tournament. Assistant-coach changes may also make this an adjustment year for the Scarlet Knights.

7) Nebraska
Nebraska will have to adjust after losing four seniors. Transfer Kyndal Clark from Drake may help the Huskers fill the gap, but she comes into the season recovering from a knee injury.

8) Michigan
The Wolverines just fell short of a .500 record in the Big Ten last year, but with a winning run in the WNIT at the end of last season, the team gained valuable experience coming into this season.

9) Michigan State
With the Spartans two best scorers — Tori Jankoska and Aerial Powers — leading the team this season, the outlook looks better.

10) Wisconsin
Bringing back an experienced team, Wisconsin’s outlook is optimistic. The Badgers return three solid senior starters in Nicole Bauman, Dakota Whyte, and Tessa Cichy. Also the Badgers will start Connecticut transfer Michala Johnson, whom the NCAA has cleared to play after sitting out last season; she will provide the team with some much-needed scoring.

11) Illinois
Posting a 6-12 record last season in the Big Ten, Illinois still has a long way to go to gain some ground in the Big Ten power rankings. With Ivory Crawford graduated, Chatrice White will have to take the reins for the Illini this season.

12) Indiana
Coming off of a 4-14 record in the conference last season, the Hoosiers will attempt to find their identity, any identity. Second-year head coach Teri Moren has put an emphasis on team chemistry in trying to build a cohesive team, but it still has a long way to go.

13) Purdue
Last season’s 3-15 record in the Big Ten doesn’t give much hope for the team coming into the new season. Purdue will rely on senior April Wilson and redshirt senior Torrie Thornton to produce most of the scoring for the Boilermakers.

14) Penn State
There’s no doubt whether the team is rebuilding. All the Nittany Lions can do now is wait and see. Maybe the sea will return. Maybe the waiting room won’t be crowded.