Q&A: Jackass’s Preston Lacy

Famous for his daredevil antics in the “Jackass” TV show and all five films, Preston Lacy will bring his brash brand of humor to Gabe’s, 330 E. Washington St., today as part of his Cockus Tour.  The show will feature local comedian Tom Garland, University of Iowa student Max Tourt, and five other standup acts. Fans can attend a Meet and Greet Party at 9 p.m. Friday at the Summit, 10 S. Clinton St., but Lacy shared a few of his comedic secrets with The Daily Iowan this week.

The Daily Iowan: Have you ever been to Iowa City before?

Preston Lacy: No, I’ve just driven through when I was an over-the-road truck driver and when [Stephen Glover] and I were on the Lollapalooza tour back in the day.

DI: At what point in your life did you start to think, “Hey, I’m pretty funny”?

Lacy: I moved a lot when I was young. It was be funny or have zero friends and get beat up on the reg.

DI: Tell me some of the qualities you believe it takes to be a good comedian.

Lacy: You have to connect with the audience. If you’re uncomfortable, they’re uncomfortable. I don’t take myself too seriously. I mean c’mon, I crossed that humiliation threshold 12 years and two farm animals ago.

DI: What environment do you tend to put yourself in when you’re getting ready to write for the show “Jackass”?

Lacy: I’d love to tell you I write in a bubble bath while enjoying a glass of Merlot, but most ideas come to me when I’m in between shots at the bar. Sometimes, those notes don’t make sense.

DI: Where do you see the biggest separation between being a standup comedian versus your acting role with “Jackass”?

Lacy: You don’t generally get beat up when you do standup comedy. “Jackass” is more improvisation followed by an ass kicking.

DI: Despite what is searchable on the Internet, what would you say you are best known for?

Lacy: I recovered an onside kick against Monett in high-school football, but mostly for the extreme stunts, graphic nudity, and humiliation.

DI: Do you consider yourself fearless? 

Lacy: Heck, no. I’m scared of heights, car wrecks, and anybody that speaks German while wearing a uniform.

DI: If you could get one message through to an audience, what would it be?

Lacy: I want them to feel like they just went to a party at my house. (Sorry about the cover charge.)

DI: Best piece of advice for those just starting out acting/performing comedy?

Lacy: Both take years and years. Get an education and a skill to fall back on, then barge it. Go to New York or Hollywood, and don’t take no for an answer. People love telling you you’ll never make it because they didn’t. Jerks.

DI: How do you find yourself to be unique?

Lacy: I’m the perfect mixture of funny, fat, and insane.