Friday Night Concerts continue

On Friday, the second to last Friday Night Concert Series performance of the 2014 season will feature the local soul group BF Burt and Big Medicine at 6:30 p.m. at the Pedestrian Mall’s Weatherdance Fountain Stage.

Lead singer, guitarist, and harmonica-player Kevin BF Burt and his band have been playing music in Iowa City and around the United States for more than 20 years. The Friday concert will mark one of many Friday Night Concert Series performances for the group since the series began in 1991.

Lisa Barnes, the executive director of the Summer of the Arts, said 2014 has been another successful year for one of Iowa City’s oldest outdoor music programs.

“For anyone who has ever attended the Friday Night Concert Series, it is evident that this event brings together all aspects of the Iowa City community and provides a great opportunity for local bands to play for often a large audience than there would be at an inside venue,” she said. “You’ll see all ages, backgrounds, ethnicities at the weekly concerts enjoying the music, dancing, and having fun.”

Scott Kading, the head of the music selection committee for the Friday Night Concert Series, said the panel members select only musicians with ties to Johnson County.

“There are a lot more factors that we consider than you might think, but that is part of what makes doing this so fun,” Kading said.

Like all Friday Night Concert Series performances, the show is free and open to the public. The last concert of the series will feature Zeta June and Firesale on Sept. 12.

— by Devyn Young