Men’s swimming drops pair of meets

The No. 25 Iowa men’s swimming and diving team dropped a pair of duals to Notre Dame and Missouri State at the Shamrock Invitational this past weekend.

The loss was the third straight for the Black and Gold.

The Hawkeyes lost to Notre Dame, 224.50-145.50, and Missouri State, 213-157. 

Sophomore Roman Trussov led the Hawkeyes with two first-place finishes in the 100 and 200 breast.  His final time of 55.05 in the 100-breast earned him yet another NCAA B cut.

Senior Dustin Rhoades also earned a B cut on the second day of competition; his 48.41 in the 100 back earned him second place. 

In the 400-free relay, sophomores David Ernstsson, Charles Holliday, and Jackson Allen and senior Gianni Sesto finished in 3:01.05 to finish. 

The team earned only one win on the first day of competition, then stormed back to grab three first-place finishes the second day.

The 200-medley relay, consisting of junior Grant Betulius, Trussov, Rhoads, and Holliday finished in 1:29.78 to win, and Holliday, Trussov, and senior Gianni Sesto came together to finish 1-2-3 in the 50-free.

Iowa also gained significant contributions from its diving squad, as sophomore Addison Boschult earned third on the men’s 1-meter springboard. His final score of 315.15 set a season best for him.

Iowa will return to action Friday, when it will host Western Illinois in its final home meet of the season. The meet will be preceded by a Senior Day ceremony.

— by Ryan Rodriguez