See what’s on the agenda for today’s Iowa City City Council meeting

Council to vote on school project annexation

The Iowa City City Council will vote on a first consideration on the annexation of Sycamore Street and American Legion Road to the Iowa City School District at the Dec. 3 meeting.

The School District’s proposed south elementary would be built near Sycamore Street, with construction expected to start in 2014 as part of the 10-Year Facilities Plan. The district’s proposed east elementary will be built near American Legion Road, and officials would like to start construction in 2016.

The council will also vote to rezone parts of the Sycamore Street property, which will include an Interim Development Single Family Residential zone.  New zoning for the American Legion Road property will also be voted on at today’s meeting.

— by Rebecca Morin

Company pulls out of project application

Paddock LLC withdrew its application for the Shire Lane project at Saddlebrook.

The Iowa City City Council will vote to amend the planned development for single-family residences at Tuesday’s meeting.

The project would have included 13 apartment buildings with 142 multifamily dwellings, as well as six duplexes with 12 dwelling units.

At a Sept. 6 Planning and Zoning Commission meeting, officials recommended by a 6-0 vote to deny rezoning for future development of Saddlebrook. However the applicant requested a hearing, and the ordinance was deferred at the Oct. 1, Oct. 15, and Nov. 12 council meetings.

— by Rebecca Morin

Council to vote on City Park pool project

The Iowa City City Council will vote on a first consideration on renovations for City Park pool at the Dec. 3 council meeting.

City officials hope to renovate the pool’s wading pool because it is not compliant with the 2010 Americans with Disabilities Act standards.

The 2010 standards mandate all municipal pools to be accessible. The existing wading pool does not comply with the standards because of raised edges.

The project would include the replacing the existing wading pool at City Park pool with a zero-edge pool, extending the perimeter fence, and establishing picnic areas within the pool fence.

— by Rebecca Morin

The Iowa City City Council will vote on a second consideration for a resolution that would provide uniformity of regulations between the Pedestrian Mall and Black Hawk Mini Park at Tuesday’s meeting.

The city currently doesn’t include Black Hawk Mini Park in the definition of the Ped Mall. However, various code provisions have been adopted by the council over the past several years that apply to both the Ped Mall and the park.

Some regulations that could be added to the park include smoke-free initiatives and more police regulation.

— by Rebecca Morin

The Iowa City City Council will vote on a second consideration to exempt low-occupancy rooftop patios from certain clauses of the Iowa City liquor-license ordinance will be voted on at the Dec. 3 meeting.

The current liquor-license ordinance requires establishments with a new liquor license to have windows, which permit visibility of its interior from the public way and to be located on the ground floor.

After input of the city’s Housing and Inspection Services, rooftop patio occupancies of under 50 people would be exempt under the proposed resolution. The Iowa City Police and Fire Departments have approved of this exception because of the low occupancy and indoor commercial recreational uses, which would bring lower risks than those associated with eating and drinking establishments.

— by Rebecca Morin

The Iowa City City Council will vote on a resolution to allocate Diversity Focus funding from Mayor’s Youth Empowerment Program to assume the role of fiscal agent for FasTrac Cultural & Diversity Awareness Program.

The FasTrac program ended Nov. 15 due to a lack of funding. Officials are asking the city to allocate $15,000 to cover salary, fringe and equipment expense for a part-time employee from November 15, 2013 through June 30, 2014.

The council will vote on the first consideration at Tuesday’s meeting.

— by Rebecca Morin

Iowa City residents could see a new variety of human-powered vehicles throughout town.

The Iowa City City Council will vote on a first consideration to revise Iowa City’s pedicab code at Tuesday’s meeting.

The code currently defines pedicabs as a vehicle propelled by only human power. However, under the ordinance the definition of pedicabs will include vehicles such as velocabs. Velocabs are human-powered vehicle that include a power assist motor.

— by Rebecca Morin

Due to budget cuts from sequestration, the Iowa City Housing Authority may downsize staffing by two full-time positions.

The Iowa City City Council will vote on a first consideration on a resolution that will reduce by one full-time housing program assistant position and on housing assistant position.

With Section 8 administrative revenue down by 30 percent, public housing subsidy down by 18 percent, and Section 8 voucher funding down by six percent, the Housing Authority had reduced one part-time position in the past year in anticipation of the budget cuts.

The Housing Authority had previously cut several expenses in a variety of operations, as well.

If passed, the two full-time positions will be laid off effective Feb. 19, 2014, and will be indefinite in duration.

— by Rebecca Morin