Point/Counterpoint: Who’s going to win Wimbledon?

Novak Djokovic, 1st-seed

Novak Djokovic is the clear-cut front-runner to win Wimbledon. The six-time grand-slam champ doesn’t have longtime rivals Roger Federer or Rafael Nadal looming in his path, making his cruise to the title that much easier.

The Serbian superstar hasn’t dropped a set in the 2013 Wimbledon, making the field look weak when Federer and Nadal didn’t advance past the second round. He’s coasted through his first five matches of the tournament, barely being challenged along the way.

There’s only one top 20 player left on Djokovic’s side of the bracket — eighth-seed Juan Martin del Potro. The Argentine’s strength and agility might stifle Djokovic early on but won’t last in the later sets. Djokovic has the most grand-slam experience of any player left in the field, which will benefit him in the tournament’s final two rounds.

At this point, this is his title to lose. He’s the most accomplished player left in the tournament, and there aren’t any real obstacles in his way outside of Andy Murray. Murray might be the hometown hero, but, just like last year, he’ll leave with his head hung in disappointment.

— by Dominick White

Andy Murray, 2nd-seed

Andy Murray will be the 2013 Wimbledon champion.

The path to the finals is definitely paved in his favor, with Nadal and Federer both eliminated in the first two rounds. Murray, meanwhile, has rolled, winning his first matches in straight sets, including wins against the 32nd-seed Tommy Robredo and No. 20 Mikhail Youzhny in the third and fourth rounds.

His first true challenge came on Wednesday, in the quarterfinals against Fernando Verdasco.

Finding himself down in sets 2-0, Murray rallied to win the match (4-6, 3-6, 6-1, 6-4, 7-5). The 0-2 comeback, Murray’s seventh in his career, proves his championship worthiness. He also proved why he was given the second seed, while Verdasco wasn’t seeded at all.

The only player who truly stands in his way is Djokovic, who Murray can compete against, as he proved last year in the U.S. Open final. Murray has improved from last year, and it’s long overdue that a man of British origin takes home the silver platter of Wimbledon.

Winning Wimbledon is more than a goal for Murray — he’s out to do whatever it takes to make it a reality.

— by Matt Cabel

Juan Martin del Potro, 8th-seed

With this year’s Wimbledon tournament coming to a close, Juan Martin del Potro has made an incredible run through the tournament. He hasn’t lost a set yet, and he is poised to surpass tennis superstars Murray and Djokovic to win the championship.

The Argentine finished in the top eight in three of four majors in 2012. He won the U.S. Open in 2009 and won the bronze medal at the London Olympics. This guy has plenty of experience and won’t go down without a fight.

Before the Wimbledon quarterfinal match, del Potro needed medical attention for an injury he sustained to his knee, and he almost forfeited the match. He ended up playing and took on No. 4 David Ferrer — one of the top players this season. Despite his knee injury, and being a tremendous underdog, del Potro prevailed. He won in three sets and advanced to the semifinals.

Del Potro will take on top-ranked Djokovic in the semifinal round, who has yet to drop a set as well. But he is due to lose sometime, and I believe that del Potro is the man who will make that happen.

If Del Potro was able to sweep Ferrer with a bum knee, I don’t see anything standing in his way the rest of the tournament. He will bring home the Wimbledon title.

— by Ryan Young