SEATS contract finalized between county and Coralville, University Heights

The long discussion over the area’s paratransit service may finally be able to be put to rest.

SEATS, a more than 30-year-old transportation service for the disabled and elderly has been at the forefront of local government talks for months, with the service’s funding future being debated.

Recently, county officials announced that they would no longer be able to subsidize funding for the service that serves Iowa City, Coralville, and North Liberty residents, as well as the county’s rural population.

But a Thursday morning Board of Supervisors meeting may have settled that.

In a 5-0 vote, the supervisors approved paratransit contracts beginning July 1 with Coralville and University Heights. Under the agreements, Coralville would provide service to residents of both cities as well as North Liberty.

An Iowa City-Johnson County contract was approved last week.

Like Iowa City, Coralville intends on ending Sunday service starting in September. Throughout the discussions, the supervisors have criticized the decisions of local cities in cutting service, but the county already doesn’t make Sunday rural-route trips.

Under the new contract, the city of Coralville will receive $46,000 from the county next fiscal year, and that amount could increase up to 3 percent each of the proceeding fiscal periods of the five-year deal.

The city of University Heights, under a one-year contractual agreement, will pay the county $8,444 next fiscal year.