Point/Counterpoint: Which team had the best Prime Time League draft?

Coach Ray Swetella’s Team

Coach Ray Swetella picked the best team in Sunday night’s Prime Time League draft, mainly because Hawkeye players Peter Jok, Kyle Meyer, and Adam Woodbury headline his loaded roster.

Jok will be one of the best pure scorers in the Prime Time League. He possesses a deadly long-range jumper and his 6-6 frame allows him to spot up and shoot over most defenders. Jok was the top high-school basketball player in Iowa last season. The 2013 Iowa Mr. Basketball honoree averaged 23.6 points per game while shooting 42 jpercent from beyond the arc in his senior season at Des Moines Valley.

Woodbury is the most offensively skilled big man in the league. The sophomore already has one year of Division I experience under his belt, which should pay dividends this summer. Woodbury and redshirt freshman Kyle Meyer create a scary interior tandem for Swetella’s squad. Meyer is an effective post player who is capable of knocking down 15- to 17-foot jump shots. Meyer’s midrange game and Jok’s 3-point stroke will create plenty of space for Woodbury to control the paint.

Swetella’s also team has some talent in the backcourt positions. Jason Price is a 35-year-old point guard who played for the Hawkeyes from 1998 to 2000. He’ll bring valuable experience to a very young roster. Swetella also drafted twin brothers Michael and Steven Soukup during the later rounds. The siblings were standout guards at Danville High last season. Both are about 6-5 with high basketball IQs and solid court vision. The Soukup brothers complement each other well on the court, and their size and shooting ability will be a matchup problem for opposing defenses.

The Comfort Care Medicare and Gatens Real Estate sponsored team has a nice mixture of outside shooting and interior play. No one player will be relied on to produce most of the scoring, creating the most balanced offensive attack in the Prime Time League.

— by Dominick White

Coach Randy Larson’s Team

As always with the Prime Time League, competition is fierce. What I believe will separate the pack will be individual talent, and no team had a better draft than Randy Larson’s team, sponsored by Monica’s and Bob’s Your Uncle.

What Larson’s team lacks in experience, it makes up for with talent. Much of that talent comes from Hawkeye forward and redshirt sophomore Jarrod Uthoff. The former Wisconsin Badger is one of Iowa’s most highly touted recruits in recent memory.

Uthoff has the rare combination of an inside presence on offense and defense and the ability to take defenders off the dribble and shoot from the outside — something that should spell trouble for opposing defenders.

Joining Uthoff as the other current Hawkeye on the team is Anthony Clemmons. Clemmons is coming off a freshman season for the Hawks in whicvh he dished out 105 assists, second most on the team and third among Big Ten freshman. Clemmons and Uthoff will prove to be a formidable one-two punch to lead the team.

Alongside the two Hawkeyes, Henry Uwadiae will provide size in the paint — the Kirkwood Community College Center measures in at 6- 10. Teammate J.C. Fuller will help with the scoring load, as he averaged 11.1 points per game in this past season for the Eagles.

Sixth pick Billy Daniel will also provide consistent scoring. The forward is coming off a high-school career in which he left as the all-time leading scorer at Assumption High.  

This will be the 27th season in which Larson is the commissioner of Prime Time. When he picks a player, I’ll take his word for it.

— by Jacob Sheyko