West Liberty man charged with assault

A West Liberty man has been charged after allegedly punching a woman in the face and throwing a bottle at another woman at the Union Bar, 121 E. College St.

Jason Mendez, 22, was charged Sunday with domestic-abuse assault and assault causing bodily injury. This is Mendez’s second domestic-abuse assault charge.

According to Iowa City police complaints, two women were bleeding from their faces when officers arrived at the downtown establishment. Of the two injured women, one was Mendez’s ex-girlfriend and the mother of their 9-month-old child, and the other woman was her friend. The injured women said Mendez punched one of them — his ex-girlfriend — in the face and threw a bottle at the other, the complaints said. Mendez’s ex-girlfriend said another woman aided Mendez in assaulting her.

Witnesses confirmed that a fight broke out and that Mendez punched one woman in the face and threw a bottle at the other, the complaints said.

While Mendez admitted to being involved in the fight, he denied assaulting his ex-girlfriend and throwing a bottle at the other woman. Mendez had blood on his hand and no injuries of his own, the complaint said.

Mendez was been charged June 12 with domestic assault causing injury. A no-contact order was filed with the victim on that same day, the complaint said.

Second-offense domestic-abuse assault is an aggravated misdemeanor, and assault causing bodily injury is a serious misdemeanor.