Mason: UI attains 100 percent compliance in sexual harassment

University of Iowa President Sally Mason said at the state Board of Regents meeting Thursday that 100 percent of faculty at the UI have undergone appropriate sexual-harassment training.

“This is no promise no one will ever sexually harass anyone else,” she said. “I think these are good steps as we move forward.”

The regents requested 100 percent compliance from the university faculty following controversy with Peter Gray, former associate director of Athletic Student Services at the UI.

Gray resigned Nov. 4, 2012, amid allegations of inappropriate sexual conduct with student-athletes and sexual behavior in the workplace.

Regent President Craig Lang said at the Dec. 5, 2012, meeting of the regents there was an “obvious breakdown in the process” in the handling of the Gray case, and the regents requested an internal audit following the controversies.

The audit was then presented at the regents’ Feb. 5 meeting. The audit found the university followed its policies for reporting allegations and hiring procedures, but it suggested the UI improve compliance with sexual-harassment training. It reported the UI had an 81.6 percent compliance rate with the training.

Mason said she’s confident in the compliance level and the completion of expectations.

“It does satisfy our policy, and I feel very good that we’ve had 100 percent compliance," she said.