Bianchini: UI confessions not so bad

Secrets, secrets are no fun, unless you share with everyone — but seriously. The era of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” has officially ended, and the era of “I’m going to tell everyone my dirtiest, darkest secrets (as long as it is anonymous)” has emerged. Thanks to the newest page addition — University of Iowa Confessions — to one of the largest social media sites, Facebook, anyone can spill her or his secrets all over the Internet.

In a week, the page has hit more than 3,000 likes, and almost 4,000 people are digitally “talking” about it.

The confessions range from simple admissions of admiring crushes from afar to details about raunchy sexual encounters. The latter is what has many at the university in a tizzy.

Realistically, people need to stop getting so upset with this page and start dishing out some confessions of their own.

Every confession is private and confidential — the page even says so. This page uses an outside survey source that allows someone to type their confession, submit it and stay anonymous all while waiting for their post to get published on the page.

Not to mention the page clearly states that it is a community page and is not at all affiliated with the University of Iowa.

Sure, it’s not the classiest fan page, and to many, it may seem like it puts our school in quite an inappropriate light. However, we’re not the only school that has this page. It’s basically just a way for college students to entertain themselves without the risk of acquiring a bad reputation.

But every so often you get those innocent gems of a confession that doesn’t make the page seem too raunchy. Well, until you scroll down a post.

So skip your diary, blast “Confessions” by Usher for a little motivation if you need it, and let the confessions come pouring out. It sure beats spending money to spill your beans to a therapist.