What to eat this weekend: Oreo Peanut-Butter Brownies

After a crazy weekend, the last thing we need for our stomachs (or wallets) is to go out for food. Sometimes we need to restore normalcy with some healthy, home cooked meals. Or maybe, you’d rather have an Oreo Peanut Butter Brownie.

‘Cause that’s what I’d rather have — and if I’m giving up sex for Lent, I need something to hold me over, especially because it’s a modified version of a recipe I found on foodporndaily.com. How did I find this awesome — and safe for work — website? Keep your mind out of the gutter, and try stumbleupon some time. Stumbleupon is a great way to motivate yourself to become an amazing chef. Just don’t sit in the corner all day lost on this site. I’ve probably never done that …

Anyway, cooking these brownies in a frat kitchen isn’t as easy as you think.

Just setting up the kitchen leads to brothers taking finger scoops from my brownie mix, continually pestering me with “What’cha making? Can I have some?” Although simple, making these miniature cakes of deliciousness were filled with distractions.

Take an Oreo, add a spread of peanut butter, add another Oreo, some more peanut butter, stack, and repeat. You can get about 12 brownies per package of Oreos, so plan accordingly.

You’ll run out much faster than anticipated, so a double order will make you the favorite of your house (apartment, domicile, whatever).

My brownies weren’t completely done cooking because of our fraternity’s Grade-A oven. Even though I was left with the molten chocolate of the fudge brownie batter, my first bite stranded me in a haven, perfectly in between the crunch of the cookies and the smooth, gooey surroundings of the double stuff and peanut butter.

You might need to get a run in after eating one or two of these. Caloric content aside, this piece of paradise could only be better if it magically came with a puppy or beer. The smell of these alone could attract the whole sorority next door.

This easy (did I emphasize that enough?) recipe is great for any gathering that needs some high calorie and energizing snacks. For the roommates who don’t like to share, the brownies can store extremely well. I’d go so far to say they taste best straight from the oven or out of the fridge, so keep them chilled in an air-tight container. 

I have yet to try using crunchy peanut butter, just for fear of ruining the texture.

Keep it creamy, baby.

This brownied version of my favorite Parent Trap snack makes so much sense to me, I’ll never have plain brownies again.