What to eat this weekend: The Share Wine Lounge & Small Plate Bistro’s crab cakes

Are you looking to have an exquisite evening with your special(ish) person without having to spend all your money on an expensive steakhouse dinner? Keep true to that New Year’s resolution by having smaller portions with a powerful flavor at the Share Wine Lounge & Small Plate Bistro, located in the heart of the Pedestrian Mall. This elegant yet accessible establishment can be found sharing a roof with the Sheraton Hotel, 210 S. Dubuque St.

I found the environment provides a relaxing feeling without losing the warmth offered from this elegant home-away-from-home bistro. With a large array of small plates to share and an impressive wine list, this gem is worth a visit. Its “Friday With Class” specials from 4 to 7 p.m. have me returning weekly.

What to try: Crab cakes ($8 for a small plate, $16 for share-ing)

When to eat: An appetizer plate to enjoy a strong taste, not for the fill of a full meal. Consider adding the cheese plate to make the meal last.

The plate: These succulent “crabby patties” make this Iowan feel as if I’m at a fancy Maryland crab house; the crab cakes are served fresh with Sacha aioli sauce and a citrus salad.

How it looks: The golden casing on the croquettes with the white Sacha glazing invite you to indulge without the effort of cracking claws.

In your mouth: Good crab … a rarity in the life of a college student. The moist insides of the crab paired with the slight crisp of the exterior enchant your taste buds; eat slowly to enjoy all the treasures in these cakes.

Served with a citrus salad with orange and snow peas, these juicy and sumptuous crustacean cakes are sure to impress whomever you deem worthy.

Rating: 4.5 of 5