Annual Festival of Carols event attracts about 800 participants

People can join a yearly celebration of Yuletide cheer at 7 p.m. today at the Englert Theater, 221 E. Washington St.

This years’ Festival of Carols will include people singing about good tidings with cookies and hot cocoa in hand, an improv performance by two local actors, and a vast array of performers from local community groups. The event will break from traditional performances to give the audience a new experience.

Dan Ciha, the director and owner of Gay & Ciha Funeral & Cremation Service, 2720 Muscatine Ave., one of the sponsors of the event, remembers that when he was a child, he went to the Cocoa for Carols at Hancher.

“I believe in traditions, and it was a tradition that had gotten lost,” he said. “It has been fun to be able to bring it back.”

Ciha, with the help of the Englert Development Director Katie Roche, has been able to keep traditions alive with the Festival of Carols for years. The event usually attracts up to 800 people.

“I just love seeing the families and little kids singing along. It is incredibly moving to hear the sound of over 800 people singing together, it really gets people into the holiday spirit,” Roche said.

Some of the featured performances include actor and playwright Megan Gogerty collaborating with pianist Arien Ottmar in performing “ ’Twas the Night before Christmas,” the Feralings, Iowa City Community Theater, Sisters of Song, Iowa City Girls Choir, Cory Hanson, Pro/Am Object and Fire Manipulator.

“The neat thing is that it’s a tradition now — people look forward to it,” Ciha said. “There is something special about the spirit of the holidays; it’s cold outside, you drink hot chocolate and sing carols; it’s a good escape.”