VP of Strategic Communications Tysen Kendig accepts position at UConn

Tysen Kendig, the University of Iowa’s vice president for Strategic Communication, will leave the university because he has accepted a new position as the University of Connecticut’s new vice president for communications, UConn President Susan Herbst announced Thursday.

According to a UConn press release, Kendig was selected after the university had conducted a national search.

“How aggressively we communicate about ourselves and tell our story as an institution is one of the essential components of our success as a top public university,” Herbst said in the press release.

“Tysen is without question the right person to lead this critical effort in the years to come, and I am thrilled that he will be joining us here at UConn.”

Kendig will oversee UConn’s Office of University Communications, which includes news and information, marketing, multimedia, Internet, and design services, and he will begin in mid-January, the release said.

“As natives of the Northeast, my family and I are ecstatic to be returning ‘home’ to join one of the most vibrant public universities in America,” Kendig said the press release. “I’m impressed by the vision and energy that President Herbst has brought to the institution and am excited to join her leadership team and a fantastic communications staff.”

Kendig started his position at the UI in February 2010. His current responsibilities include overseeing the Office of University Relations, the Center for Media Production, UI Television, the UI Alumni Association, and Hancher Auditorium.

— by Kristen East