Ponnada: Economy not only issue

Voters have been running around trying to decide whom to vote for. Given that the next president could possibly change the future and face of this nation, it is important to make an informed and intelligent decision when casting your ballot. Should it be Romney-Ryan or Obama-Biden?

Decisions, decisions — they’re just so hard to make.

Actually, they’re not.

With leading newspapers in Iowa endorsing Romney, why should we vote for Mitt Romney? Well, his economic policies are just fantastic. Or so they say. But Romney’s economic policies are not the only way out of the country’s current condition: They might not be a way out at all.

So why are we focusing solely on the economy and drifting away from our society? In an election in which social issues of America are at stake, the choice needed to be made is pretty clear: Obama.

Since the conservatives took charge, they have spearheaded efforts to defund Planned Parenthood, an organization that for the past 100 years has battled for and broadened horizons of women’s health and well-being.

Planned Parenthood operates nearly 800 health centers nationwide that provide safe and reliable health-care services, which help prevent unintended pregnancies through contraception, reduce the spread of sexually transmitted infections through testing, and treatment and screen for cervical and other cancers.

Only 3 percent of all Planned Parenthood services involve abortions, whereas 76 percent of the organization’s clients receive services to prevent unintended pregnancy — preventing more than 584,000 unintended pregnancies each year.

Moreover, the Hyde Amendment prohibits Planned Parenthood from using taxpayer money to carry out abortions. Any abortions performed by the organization are funded by private sources.

The economy is not the only issue in this election — let’s vote like it.