Beer of the Week: Venture Series Madhaus Dunkelweizen

Name: Venture Series Madhaus Dunkelweizen

Recently I stumbled across a map of the United States in which every state was colored in with the label of the best beer it produced. I doubt much science went into the selection process, but I’m inclined to agree with the random Internet map in selecting Madhouse Brewery as one of the best in the Hawkeye State.

Madhouse mixes up a delectable line of brews in Newton. Its beers, many of them seasonal mixes, have become a "must try" for any self-respecting Iowa beer connoisseur.

My first Madhouse beer was the Madhaus Dunkelweizen, and while I’m not entirely sure what that means, I’m certain it’s a beer full of flavor. This German-style dark wheat beer proves that anything an German can brew, an Iowa can brew better.

Smell: The Madhaus Dunkelweizen gives off a brawny wheat aroma that pairs softly but smoothly with sweet notes of clove, toffee, and banana. 4.25/5

Appearance: This Madhouse is a dark chocolate-colored beer with almost no carbonation. The head is particularly tan colored and barely laces the glass as it lingers for only a few moments before dissolving. 4/5

Taste: A roasted sweetness with just the right amount of bitterness waits to pounce on your palate. Chocolate, spice, caramel, and sweet fruits are noticeable among the light hops. 4.75/5

Overall: Madhouse would only have needed to sell me one beer to persuade me that it is brewing Iowa’s best beer, but I’ll probably try a few other flavors just to be certain. If you haven’t tried the small brewing wonder that is Newton’s Madhouse Brewery, or didn’t like it, check your birth certificate, because you may not be from these parts.