Track from the Past: Blink-182, Take Off Your Pants And Jacket

Pop-punk outfit Blink-182’s fourth album, Take Off Your Pants And Jacket, soared to No. 1 on the U.S. Billboard 200 chart 11 years ago this week.

Raise your hand if that makes you feel old.

The record sold 350,000 copies in its first week, thanks in large part to its first single. "The Rock Show" is a stupidly catchy, fast-paced song dedicated to the girl every guy falls in love with, idolizes, and then never sees again. But hope springs eternal, because every summer brings around another rock show and another chance to find her.

The rest of the album is a blend of songs about falling in love ("First Date" and "Please Take Me Home"), falling out of love ("Stay Together for the Kids" and "Shut Up"), and good ol’ teen angst ("Anthem, Pt. 2"). Throw in the hilariously profane "Happy Holidays, You Bastard," and you have a solid recipe for one of the best-selling records of the 2000s.

Even if pop-punk isn’t your thing — which, given the number of crappy bands performing under that label, is completely understandable — Take Off Your Pants And Jacket is worth a listen purely for the talent of drummer Travis Barker. Tom DeLonge and Mark Hoppus are fairly skilled with the guitar and bass, respectively, but Barker’s rhythm and fills are almost magical — see his work on "Anthem, Pt. 2" and "Shut Up" in particular.

Say what you want about the band or genre, but it’s hard to deny Barker a spot among the best drummers of the generation.

Turn it up.

— by Seth Roberts