Hawkeye baseball drops two of three in Twin Cities

The Iowa baseball team lost two of three to the Minnesota Golden Gophers over the weekend in Minneapolis.

Manager Jack Dahm said before the team left for the Twin Cities that he expected three low-scoring games.

That’s exactly what he and the Hawkeyes got — the team dropped the first two games by scores of 5-4 and 4-3.

The Hawkeyes’ lone victory came on Sunday in a 5-4 win in 12 innings. Senior Phil Keppler drove in Mike McQuillan with a single to right-center field in the top of the 12th inning for what proved to be the winning run.

Freshman left-hander Taylor Kaufman pitched 4 2/3 innings out of the bullpen to pick up his second win of the season. Fellow freshman Nick Hibbing relieved Kaufman for the final two outs to pick up his second save of the year.

Iowa again got solid starts from their No. 1 and No. 2 pitchers in Minneapolis. Jarred Hippen threw 7 2/3 innings, giving 5 earned runs in the first game of the series at the Metrodome. Matt Dermody was even better, working 7 1/3 innings while only allowing 1 earned run.

McQuillan hit his way into the school record books in the team’s series-opening loss on April 27. The senior’s seventh-inning single gave him 184 singles for his career, eclipsing Keith Noreen’s total of 183. McQuillan is fourth on the school’s all-time hit list (225).

— by Ben Schuff