Big Ten Championships: Iowa women’s golf finishes season in 10th place

The Iowa women’s golf team finished in 10th place at the Big Ten championships in French Lick, Ind., on Sunday. The Hawkeyes shot a 65-over 929 at the Donald Ross Course and finished ahead of Penn State and Indiana.

No. 25 Michigan State won the event at 21 over; it was followed by No. 33 Purdue (31 over) and No. 22 Ohio State (34 over).

Iowa head coach Megan Menzel said she was impressed with her team’s effort on the final 18 holes of competition; the Hawkeyes jumped two spots on the leaderboard on Sunday.

"We definitely saw some areas of improvement," Menzel said in a release. "I was thrilled with the way Chelsea Harris played all three days. She … had a great senior performance."

Harris, Iowa’s lone senior, finished tied for seventh at 4 over par — one position from being named to the all-tournament team. It was the Illinois native’s third top-10 finish this season; she’s the first Hawkeye to place in the top-10 at the conference tournament since Tyrette Metzendorf took third in 2009, according to the release.

Teammate Kristi Cardwell finished second-highest for the Hawkeyes at 18 over and tied for 32nd. Gigi DiGrazia finished at 24 over and tied for 55th, and freshman Shelby Philips tied for 59th at 26 over.

Lauren English and Karly Grouwinkel rounded out Iowa’s scorecard at 28 and 55 over, respectively; the pair finished in 62nd and 72nd.

— by Alex French