Hawkeye women’s golf sets new record, still finishes fifth

The Iowa women’s golf team shot a 54-hole total of 15-over 879 (290, 294, 295) in Peoria, Ariz., this weekend, breaking the previous record of 888 set in 2009.

Iowa golfers Chelsea Harris, Lauren English, Gigi DiGrazia, Shelby Phillips, and Kristi Cardwell all carded season-high scores and the Hawkeyes tied for fifth place in a field of 12 at the Westbrook Invitational on Sunday and Monday.

"They’re pretty fired up; we had some great play from them [all weekend long]," head coach Megan Menzel said.

The Hawkeyes started the weekend with a season-low 290 on Sunday morning. Cardwell’s 71 — which included 3 birdies — was Iowa’s first-round low score; she finished tied for 40th.

Three back-nine birdies helped English to a 1-under 71 on Sunday afternoon. Harris, who notched two birdies on the front nine and three on the back, shot a 2-under 70 to lead Iowa on Monday. English finished tied for 21st while Harris’ final round vaulted her to a tie for 12th overall.

DiGrazia also tied for 21st and Phillips placed tied for 36th.

Menzel said she was pleased with the team’s consistency throughout the weekend.

"All five players played consistently well, and that’s something we’ve been trying to work on throughout the season," she said. "The goal is to continue to move up the leaderboard [in each competition].

Iowa heads to Oahu, Hawaii, on March 13-14 to compete in the Dr. Donnis Thompson Invitational.

— by Alex French