A love/hate relationship with Turkey Day

Thanksgiving has been an annual tradition in the United States of American since the 17th century. And in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln made it an official. Millions look forward to it every year for many reasons, but it is looked forward to by me, for three.

Why I Love Thanksgiving

Food: Thanksgiving is such an American holiday, and I’m not saying that because we created it (Canadians would argue that they beat us by around 40 years), but because of how we celebrate it. Studies show that the average adult consumes 3,000 calories during the Thanksgiving meal. And if that isn’t fantastic enough, the food orgy that is Thanksgiving also provides us with 229 grams of fat. There’s no better way to give thanks for what you have than with a day of overconsumption.

Football: The Thanksgiving Classic is a loved tradition. After taking in almost four times our suggested daily fat intake, what a butter way, excuse me, better way to burn it all off by flopping onto the nearest couch and splitting your time between watching football and napping. That’s what I’m thankful for.

Free time: The week away from school could not be more necessary. The break provides for nine-straight days of absolute relaxation. That is, as long as you’ve completed your two group projects. And written your four term papers and one lab report. Oh, and studied for the five exams you’ll be taking in less than two weeks.

Why I Hate Thanksgiving

Family: There is no such thing as a sane mother if she is hosting a holiday at your house. It’s just a known fact, like gravity and sriracha sauce being good on everything. And then there is the case of the non-immediate family, with cousins so awkward, that I am thankful the pilgrims included booze in the Thanksgiving tradition.

"Friends": My town has a (awful) tradition. If you graduated from high school within the past, say, 105 years, you will go to the bar and hang out with your previous fellow classmates. How many times will I have to answer the question "so what’s your major again?" with "English" and "what a are you going to do with an English major?" with "probably be unemployed." I prefer not to know.

Friday: Finally, after a day that revolves around being thankful for what we have, we go out and buy copious amounts of things we don’t need, because it’s super cheap. The next thing you know people will be having their Thanksgiving feast in line outside of Best Buy.

— by Jordan Montgomery