Author Sharlet to read at Prairie Lights

Ann Coulter declared him the stupidest journalist in America, but others have heralded him as deserving a place among the best nonfiction writers of the age.

The controversial author Jeff Sharlet will read from his book Sweet Heaven When I Die: Faith, Faithlessness, and the Country in Between at 6:30 p.m. at Prairie Lights Books, 15 S. Dubuque St.

The book examines the array of faith that can be found in modern America by compiling a group of essays that profile leaders of different religions.

Sharlet has an wide-ranging list of credits to his name. He was a contributing editor for Harper’s and Rolling Stone, and he holds the position of Mellon Assistant Professor of English at Dartmouth University. He also made appearances on MSNBC’s "Rachel Maddow Show," NPR’s "Fresh Air," and Comedy Central’s "Daily Show."

The author also writes about music. Some of this work was published in the annual Best Music Writing volumes of 2004 and 2008.

Sharlet’s writing reflects his fascination with religion and spirituality. He created numerous outlets, including literary magazines and books, to further delve into the subjects that interest him. One of his works, The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power* is a *New York Times bestseller.

— by Julia Jessen