Former basketball player Magnusson passes away

Former Iowa men’s basketball player Floyd Magnusson died on April 16 in Fort Dodge. He was 85.

Magnusson, a native of Gowrie, Iowa, earned four letters while playing for the Hawkeyes in 1944 and from 1947 to 1949. His career was broken up by a stint in the Navy during World War II.

He officiated NCAA basketball for 16 years, including the title games of the 1959, 1966, and 1969 Final Four Tournaments.

He returned to Fort Dodge in 1952 and founded Magnusson Insurance Agency two years later. The 20-year Webster County supervisor also served on the City Parks and Recreation Commission, was a School Board president, and served on the board of directors for the Salvation Army and University of Iowa Letterman’s Club.

"Floyd had a tremendous ability to get things done without causing a lot of nonsense or commotion," former Webster County Supervisor Dennis O’Farrell told Bill Shea of the the Fort Dodge Messenger. "He generated a lot of respect among members of the board because of his sense of humor and his knowledge of the job of a supervisor."

Funeral services will be held at 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday at Grace Lutheran Church in Fort Dodge, followed by entombment at the Chapel of Peace Mausoleum at North Lawn Cemetery.

Visitation will be held today from 4 to 8 p.m. at Gunderson Funeral Home and Cremation Services.