Iowa/Nebraska to play Thanksgiving Friday

The Iowa and Nebraska football programs announced on Monday that their 2011 and 2012 games will take place on the Fridays following Thanksgiving. The new Big Ten rivals will face off as conference foes for the first time on Nov. 25 in Lincoln, Neb.

“Iowa playing Nebraska on any given weekend is a great matchup between two historic football programs,” Hawkeye Athletics Director Gary Barta said in a release. “Having the game on Thanksgiving Friday will add to the excitement and the potential for a strong national television audience.”

The changes in dates were approved by the Big Ten Administrators Council. Game times and television information have not been decided.

Barta also noted the change will provide the student-athletes from both teams a two-day holiday break before starting classes on Monday.

“Our staff and players are excited to begin competing with Nebraska the day after Thanksgiving this season and in 2012,” Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz said.

“College football played on this day has a well-established rivalry history, and we feel it will be a great opportunity for our program to join in a new chapter of Big Ten history. These Friday games should help create great atmosphere, both in Lincoln this fall and in Kinnick Stadium in 2012.”