Men’s track breaks more records

The Iowa men’s track and field team broke several school records for the second weekend in a row, this time competing against some of the nation’s best at the Razorback Invitational in Fayetteville, Ark.

After turning in three of the top performances in Iowa history at Minnesota on Jan. 21-22, three Hawkeyes set four school records in the triple jump, 60, 200, and 800.

Junior Troy Doris tripled jumped 54 feet, breaking Paul Jones’ 20-year-old school record of 52 feet, 1 1/4 inches. Doris out-jumped the then-ranked No. 1 and No. 5 triple jumpers in the country.

The junior’s jump not only ranks third best nationally, but the 54-foot leap was also good enough to automatically qualify Doris for the NCAA meet.

Junior Justin Austin performed well enough in the 200 meters to automatically qualify for NCAAs as well. The sprinter ran a 20.83 200-meter dash, breaking his own school record in the process by 0.16 seconds. Austin also improved his school-record time in the 60 meters with a mark of 6.71.

Erik Sowinski also broke a school record that he had held. The junior finished the 800 meters in 1:48.75, 0.15 seconds better than his previous best.

After finishing third at the meet in Arkansas, Sowkinski’s time is the sixth-best in Division-I.

— by Ben Schuff