V-ball drops 2

The Iowa volleyball team’s (11-13, 3-9) losing streak reached three-games when the Hawkeyes were swept, 3-0, by Michigan State (16-8, 4-8) on Oct. 30 and fell, 3-1, to No. 13 Michigan (19-6, 7-5) on Oct. 31.

Traveling to Ann Arbor, Mich., the Hawkeyes were looking for some retribution after allowing the Wolverines to come back in a five-set win in Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Oct. 9.

Junior Aimee Huffman had 13 kills, junior Mara Hilgenberg added 37 assists, and senior Christina Meister totaled 22 digs in the loss.

Iowa came out strong in the first set, recording nine kills and three blocks. Despite trailing early, the Hawkeyes used a 12-3 run to take the set, 25-16, and an early 1-0 match advantage.

However, in the second set, the Wolverines took control, recording 16 kills as a team. Michigan tied the match 1-1 after winning the set, 25-12.

The third set saw the Wolverines jump out an early 17-5 lead. But the Hawkeyes used two different six-point runs to get within 24-20 before falling, 25-20, in the frame.

With the decisive fourth set, Michigan used momentum to cruise to an easy 25-13 set win and a 3-1 match victory.

Iowa will return to action this weekend, hosting Ohio State and No. 1 Penn State at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Friday and Saturday.

— by Evelyn Lau