Field hockey wins 2 in D.C.

The Iowa field hockey team won its second consecutive game on Oct. 31, beating American University, 2-1, in Washington, D.C.

Just one day removed from defeating No. 11 James Madison, the Hawkeyes managed a regular-season-concluding road victory.

Freshman Sarah Drake opened the scoring, tallying her team-leading eighth goal of the season on a chip-in at the 50:14 mark during the second half. Senior Tricia Dean was credited with an assist.

American’s Anne-Meike DeWiljes assisted on a Savannah Graybill goal to tie the game, 1-1, at 66:59.

Iowa senior Meghan Beamesderfer helped ensure the game wouldn’t see overtime, scoring her second goal of the weekend. Beamesderfer found the back of the net at 69:03 to give the Hawkeyes a 2-1 lead.

Dean was again credited with an assist, along with junior Sarah Pergine. Dean finished the weekend with three assists.

Iowa will travel to East Lansing, Mich., to participate in the 2009 Big Ten Tournament on Thursday.

The fourth-seeded Hawkeyes will meet fifth-seeded Michigan in the first round of play.

The winner will advance to meet regular-season conference champion and No. 8-ranked Michigan State on Friday. The tournament’s championship round will be played on Nov. 8.

— by Jordan Garretson