Running in the genes of six Hawkeye harriers

The adage “a family that plays together stays together” can be reasonably applied to this year’s Iowa women’s cross-country squad, a group composed of many second- and third-generation athletes.

Six of the 20 Hawkeyes on the team have followed the path set by their parents or siblings as collegiate runners.

Junior Alissa Duffy had two sisters who competed at Iowa on the rowing and cross-country teams. She attributes much of her success as a Division-I athlete to her sisters’ guidance.

“My sisters played an intricate role in motivating me to do workouts with them, even when I was younger,” Duffy said. “They played a big role in showing me the different dynamics of what it takes to be a D-I athlete.”

She said she admired her sisters, who are six and four years older than her, for being both successful students and athletes. She said her “athletic” family is multi-sports oriented, and she always finds someone to work out with.

In much the same way, Lindsay Anderson said her sister played a significant role in her decision to pursue cross-country. Krista Anderson, who finished running for the Hawkeyes after the 2009 indoor track season, lettered as an Iowa runner from 2006-2008. Their brother also ran at Minot State University in their home state o f North Dakota.

Lindsay Anderson said having so many athletes in one house made the family dynamic a bit more competitive. But like Duffy, she said the overall vibe was encouraging.

Because the Andersons are closer in age, the sisters were teammates for one year at Iowa. Lindsay Anderson said her sibling ultimately affected her decision to run for the Hawkeyes, although she considered “a number of other schools.”

“She definitely helped me choose Iowa because there was someone I could look up to already on the team,” Lindsay Anderson said. “We could help each other and motivate each other. It was nice knowing that she was here.”

Besides training together and guiding one another, second generations have the benefits of being recognized by college coaches at an earlier age. Iowa women’s head cross-country coach Layne Anderson (no relation) said he knew Lindsay Anderson from the time he recruited Krista Anderson, and he followed up on her running achievements.

“Lindsay’s time and credentials were good on her own merit,” the coach said. “I’m not allowed to formally recruit anyone until they are a senior in high school, but I was able to follow Lindsay’s progress online and through Krista.”

In addition to the Duffy and Anderson families, Iowa cross-country has seen other legacies in Jennie Docherty, Lauren and Amanda Hardesty, and Jackie Laesch. Docherty, now a team captain, followed both her mother and father’s footsteps by becoming a Hawkeye runner.

The Hardesty sisters, both juniors on the squad, have had each other to train with and to motivate each other throughout their careers.

Although her family tradition is not specific to Iowa, Laesch inherited her athleticism from her father, who played collegiate basketball and her sister, who runs at North Central College.

The women said they have had an advantage with a former or current athlete in the house. Duffy said her sisters not only encouraged her to run in college, but they influenced her decision to come to Iowa.

“I always wanted to run for Iowa,” the West Des Moines native said. “Just seeing my sisters in the uniform made me want to be part of that.”