Mount Pleasant downs Clear Creek Amana

Clear Creek Amana fell, 28-14, to Mount Pleasant on Sept. 25.

During the first half, the lead shifted between the two teams. The Mount Pleasant Panthers scored a touchdown during the first quarter but missed the extra point.

The Clear Creek Amana Clippers took only 17 seconds to respond. On the first play from scrimmage, backup quarterback Kevin Delzell threw a perfect pass to Ted Hergert for a touchdown. After nailing the extra point, the Clippers led, 7-6.

Later in the first quarter, another pass to Ted Hergert resulted in another touchdown, making the score 14-6 with 3:29 minutes remaining in the period.

Mount Pleasant stomped back in the second quarter, notching a touchdown after intercepting a pass on the Clippers’ 18-yard line. The Panthers hit a 2-point conversion and tied the game at 14.

The Clippers turned the ball over again late in the second quarter, giving the Panthers a short field. The ’Cats took advantage and the lead at halftime, 21-14.

To start off the third quarter, Delzell hit Josh Rohret with a 92-yard touchdown, but the play was nulified by a holding penalty.

Turnovers and penalties kept the Clippers’ defense on the field for much of the second half. Jesse White and Rohret made more than nine tackles.

“We had a lot of people step up,” said quarterback Blaze Smith.

In the fourth quarter, the Panthers intercepted another pass at the Clear Creek 14-yard line, and Mount Pleasant cashed in for another touchdown to make the score 28-14. Clear Creek had a chance to score late, driving down to the 4, but the Clippers failed to get into the end zone.

— by Kayla Buffington