Internet favorite to play the Mill

The break up of indie-rock band Hockey Night led to success for Free Energy.

Frontman Paul Sprangers and guitarist Scott Wells formed Free Energy in the wake of their former band’s demise. Then the group moved from Minnesota to Philadelphia and signed on with LCD Soundsystem’s James Murphy’s dance-pop record label DFA, putting Free Energy in the league of Hot Chip, Hercules and Love Affair, and YACHT.

Free Energy will perform at the Mill, 120 E. Burlington St., at 9 p.m. today. Chicago glam-band Baby Teeth, Iowa City DJ-duo School of Flyentology, and the Brown Note will also play. Admission is $6.

Although the band’s label may have a strong electronic backbone, Free Energy doesn’t exactly fit the archetype. Sprangers says that he prefers playing with musical instruments as opposed to a computer, so as to convey personality onstage in his music.

“I think that playing electronic instruments, like keyboards and synthesizers makes it easier to have a personality come across,” Sprangers said. “It’s difficult to express an emotion with machines — machines aren’t emotional.”

The band members are unsure if they are ready to experiment with more electronic styles.

“It would just have to make sense to integrate more electronic music,” Sprangers said. “The music would still have to be live, because we’re a live band, and with electronics, things don’t happen spontaneously.”

Free Energy’s sound is difficult to pinpoint — it doesn’t fit the formula of typical ’70s-infused modern indie rock. It is more dynamic and more difficult to label than other bands it has often been compared with, such as MGMT.

Andre Perry, booking agent for the Mill, thinks that Free Energy’s affiliation with LCD Soundsystem will draw in a crowd.

“I think they’re definitely an up-and-coming band,” he said.

The band has been blowing up the Internet music community since the release of the song “Dream City.” Sprangers stressed the importance of the band’s recent cyber-success.

“The blogosphere is the only attention we’ve received as a band,” he said.

Free Energy is excited to share the buzz with the audience at the Mill.

He said, “The energy is so potent in a small space, between the band and the people watching — it Ping-Pongs back and forth, and it’s really awesome.”