Parkersburg celebrates life of fallen coach in first win

Hit by a tornado that killed nine residents one year, then the shooting of a beloved football coach the next year — Parkersburg, Iowa, has been through some of the worst things imaginable.

But the small town was probably the happiest place in the world on Aug. 28.

Football is once again healing the community, and one game had an enormous significance.

The euphoria of a new season began as Aplington-Parkersburg thumped rival Dike-New Hartford in front of thousands at Ed Thomas Field. The Falcons jumped out to a 30-0 lead, eventually winning 30-14.

“The ‘W’ probably isn’t the most important thing here,” said Aplington-Parkersburg co-coach Jon Wiegmann. “The most important thing was getting our kids out there and playing ball.”

And when the kids enjoy football, the town can also enjoy football.

Even though there are only 248 students in the high school, the football team has 91 players out this season, which many close to the team say is a very typical year.

Freshmen and seniors alike suit up for every game, and the young kids travel everywhere the veterans do — one more philosophy of Coach Thomas the team will still adheres to even though he is gone.

“Everybody is a part of this,” Aplington-Parkersburg co-coach Al Kerns said. “Everyone, freshmen [and] on, is a part of it. You’re on the team, and you go through the two-a-days, and you stay with us. You’re gonna go.”

Klay Hoppenworth, 26, formerly held the school’s single-season interception record and was a state runner-up at Aplington-Parkersburg in 2000. Like almost everyone else that night, there were no signs of grief in his eyes but rather a huge smile on his face as he talked about the beloved coach.

“When I was in fifth grade,” Hoppenworth said, “Coach came up to me and told me, ‘Hop, you’re going to break the interception record in high school.’ Look what happened.”

After Thomas’ death, the media swarmed the town, just as they did after the tornado. This was a fascinating story in a terrible way: A small town that loved football lost the man who steered their program and their town.

But without a man whose shoes were so big, the athletics department could not name one coach to do his job: Two co-coaches were named to take over all Thomas’s duties for the time being.

When Thomas was allegedly shot by former player Mark Becker, the town could not sit back. Perhaps it was because sitting back is the last thing Thomas would have done.

A game had to be played on Aug. 28 against archrival Dike-New Hartford. But a rivalry was just one more element in an already emotional game.

“This is Iowa-Iowa State,” said Dike-New Hartford head coach Don Betts. “As intense of a rivalry as you can get.”

With the two towns 15 miles apart, everyone knows everyone. The students and the parents socialize and work with people in the neighboring township.

But while there is a rivalry on the gridiron, the two communities still have affection for one another — especially in times of tragedy.

“People from Dike and New Hartford helped us clean up after the tornado,” Aplington-Parkersburg parent and fan Steve Wicks said. “We’ve got good friends on both sides [of the rivalry].”

If the game wasn’t significant enough, ESPN decided to broadcast the contest nationally. Dozens of reporters teemed the sidelines, and the usual massive crowd from both camps screamed and yelled the whole game. Yet, somehow, the teams were unaffected.

“We were used to the cameras from last year. We know ’em all,” said Aplington-Parkersburg senior offensive lineman Scott Sivola.

In a powerful scene, the team entered the field holding hands under the “Falcon Country” sign, which Thomas had resurrected after the tornado.

All 91 players walked through a tunnel formed by many of Thomas’ former players, more than 100 of them from all 34 years he coached. While it was emotional for everyone watching, the players zoned it all out.

“When me and [senior running back Alex Hornbuckle] started running, everything just blacked out, and it was game on,” said Aplington-Parkersburg quarterback Coy Wiegmann, “I thought it would be harder, but right when I stepped on that field, it was game time. I’ve never been more ready to play in my life.”

The Falcons opened up a 22-point lead, aided by Hornbuckle and junior utility man Austin Ryan, who had a 72-yard run to get to the 3-yard line, a separate 19-yard touchdown run, and two interceptions on defense.

Despite giving up two late touchdowns, Aplington-Parkersburg was in control from the second quarter on.

“It was fun,” Ryan said. “That’s a good way to start the season against a rival.”